Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Berlin, here I am!


After two flights, lots of crying and too many goodbyes, here I am, in Berlin! It feels so unreal, just like a dream, and I think it will take me a little while to fully appreciate the fact that I am here for one whole year.
If my reception at the airport is any sign of how this year will go, then it will be a great year. There was not one, not two, not three, but FOUR people waiting for me at the airport as I arrived, on time, at Tegel airport! I had only expected two people to be there, so it was quite the surprise. It goes without saying that it made me feel very loved to have all these people there, and although my eyes were red and my head was pounding, I had a big smile on my face.
I am very lucky to have friends here- it makes everything easier for me! Everyone wants to help and that is a nice feeling.
As some of you might already know, I am presently living in the flat of a friend of a friend of mine. The room is very comfortable and the roommates (Katja and Andrea) are very helpful and super friendly. But as this is a temporary accommodation, the first thing on my very long list of things to do is to find a flat of my own. Last night I spent a few hours browsing the Internet and have found a few adds that sounded interesting. My first appointment to go see a room is tonight (Ah!!!!!!!!!) and I also have one for tomorrow night. Wish me luck!
The neighborhood in which I would like to live in is called Prenzlauer Berg. It is a very popular area, which means that prices can sometimes be pretty steep. The streets in this area are jam packed with cafes, bars, restaurants, boutiques and everything else you might need. There are many young people here, as well as young families. It is situated in the east, about 15 to 20 minutes away from the centre of town by U-Bahn (subway). It is a lovely neighborhood and I really hope I can find something here.
The picture of the bears that I have posted is very representative of Berlin, as the bear is this city's emblem. You can find bears everywhere, on T-shirts, posters, postcards, stamps, etc. Many bear pictures are likely to be posted on this site over time!
Tonight a friend of mine is coming to pick me up after work and he will show me the city by car. We are going to stop by the school where I will work so that I can familiarize myself with the neighborhood.
I look forward to discovering all that Berlin has to offer and I am very happy that all of you will be able to join me as I explore this very exciting city!
Until next time,
Tschüss!

No comments: