Friday, May 30, 2008

The end of an amazing school year











I don't know if you will believe me, and it is also hard for myself to comprehend this reality as well, but my contract at the Judith-Kerr Europa Grundschule came to an end yesterday. My contract officially ends on the 31st of May, but as that is a Saturday, and as I have Fridays off, yesterday was my last day of work.
The thought of not having to go to work everyday (or almost everyday!) is somewhat disconcerting. I have to admit that I had a wonderful experience and a great time at that school, and I will miss my students and the teachers that I worked with. I was so extremely lucky to have been placed in such a wonderful school. Although, like all other schools, this one has many problems (mostly related to money, of which there is none), I was lucky to be in a school where major behaviors problems were not an issue. The students were well behaved, the teachers very friendly, and the principal, although I did not have much to do with her, was nice. I felt welcomed at that school from day one- if you remember, I even received a bouquet of flowers on my first day- and I never felt as anything less than a colleague like all others.
My last day of work was a lovely one. Every class in which I had worked in (four groups in all, two 5th grade classes and two 6th grade classes) had prepared for me a card on which was glued a picture of that group. A gift accompanied that card, as well as a small speech from the class representatives. It was very touching!
My colleagues were equally generous, handing me a gift certificate for a very fancy store here in Berlin- KaDeWe, as well as a little hand-made booklet in which there are pictures of the school, of all my classes, and of the three teachers I worked more closely with.
I will of course go back and visit, as the official school year only ends in mid-July. But it won't be the same not going there everyday.....I will miss you Judith-Kerr students!

3 comments:

Valsis said...

Pearl, in the group photo, all the boys are on one side and all the girls on the other. Is this intentional ?

Pearl said...

Great observation skills Valsis!! I hadn't noticed that myself. No, it was not intentional, but you know how it is at that age (12-13), boys want to stay together and girls want to stay together! That's my favorite group by the way, class 6b!

Michelle said...

I can't believe you're already finished! Wow, it feels like only yesterday you were leaving for Berlin! I'm glad you had such a nice time at your school and I hope you have an even nicer time during the rest of your stay!