Friday, October 12, 2007

Türkenmarkt!

Did you know that Berlin has the third largest Turkish population of any city in the world? I knew that there were a lot of Turkish people here, but I did not realize that there were so many!!! There is a Kebab Imbiss (snack bar/diner/fast-food stall) at every corner, and you can get a Doner Kebab (Doner meat, lettuce, tomatoes, red cabbage, garlic sauce) for 2 euros, which really is not very much!

You can find Turkish specialties in many grocery stores, but the best place to find Gozlemes, flat breads, olives of all kinds, herbs and spices, and special Turkish cheese has to be at Kreuzberg's Turkish Market, which takes place every Tuesday and Friday. It is the largest Turkish market in Berlin and runs along the banks of the Landwehrkanal for nearly ½ mile. Kreuzberg, the neighborhood where the market is located, is the center of Turkish immigrant life in Berlin.

I visited this market today with ma Tata Colette et monTonton Joël, who are in Berlin to visit friends here. It was lovely to see some of my family and to visit this market with them. There were so many fruit and vegetable stalls, and I would have bought much more than I did had I been going home directly after the market. But as I was not, I restrained, and only bought some ruccola/arugula/roquette (which I had for dinner in a salad and which is DELICIOUS!).

Like any good aunt and uncle, I was spoiled by them, and I got, for my birthday (which, by the way, is next Wednesday, for those of you who may have forgotten this VERY IMPORTANT date!!!!!!!!) a very nice hand bag made of hemp! They also treated me to a nice lunch- it is lovely to be in the company of family (and to have a birthday in the upcoming days!).










Valsis, this picture is for you! Can you see all the ground cherries?!?!?!

1 comment:

margaret said...

I love these market shots! The colours are so vibrant and my mouth is watering imagining the tastes.

Margaret