Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Obazda

I have realized, with some shock it has to be said, that I have been neglecting to write about all the different food discoveries that I have been making while here in Germany. That is very unlike me, because as most of you know, food is very important to me! Food, in one way or another, is always on my mind. I love talking about food, looking at food blogs on the Internet (and the 58 food blogs that are saved in my Favorite folder can attest to that!!! The number as even surprised me!), collecting cookbooks (Christmas 2007 has added three new cookbooks to my collection!) and of course I love cooking/baking and eating the end result! So it really does come as a surprise to me that I have not written about this new discovery sooner than now. And what is this new wonderful food item you ask? Well, it is called Obazda (or Obatzda) and it is a spreadable cheese preparation, made by mixing aged Camembert together with cream cheese. Butter is then added, as well as spices, the most important of which is powdered paprika, as it gives the Obazda its reddish colour (salt, pepper, onions and garlic are also added). Obazda is a Bavarian speciality and can be found in every beer garden down south.
I eat it on bread for breakfast and I love it! It has a mild but delicate taste and goes well with apples. I have noticed that since I am here, my breakfasts are more salty than sweet, which is a big change for me, as I usually prefer sweet things over salty ones.
If you feel like giving Obazda a try, here is a recipe for it: http://www.bayern.by/en/b90f54d0-4849-4a0a-7842-09896237eaa1.html








On an un-Obazda note, I am very curious to know who posted the comment that appears on my last post! Whoever you are, you seem to be well informed about what time of year it is here in Germany! I also liked the name you called me- Perlchen! I am usually called Carolinechen, so your nickname for me is a nice change! In your next post, if there is to be one, please let me know who you are!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Perlchen,
I am bit informed about Germany, but I had never heard of Obazda until I saw your blog entry. I'll have to try that stuff. Sounds interrrrrresting!
About my identity: Have you read "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder?

Anonymous said...

Neither have I heard of that stuff and I am from germany. ;-) Loads of hugs and kisses, Chris

Aja said...

little late, but i was googling 'obazda' and finally the internets has caught up; so glad to see actual photos of it too! my tummy is rumbling.. i miss this stuff so much! can't get it stateside...

-aja (egosurf.net/~aja)

Anthony Del Rosario said...

Try also the Obatzda Originalrezept