Monday, November 12, 2007

Goodbye sun, hello cold!!!

Hola everyone!
I am sorry, but that is all the Spanish that I can remember, even after these four days in Barcelona! I studied Spanish for almost four years, but it is as if I never attended a single class- my Spanish seems to have completely disappeared from my head! I am not sure where it went, but I could have used it during my time in Spain!!!
Barcelona, for those of you who have not seen it yet, is a MUST-SEE city! I now understand all the hype about this city: it has culture, art, a relaxed lifestyle, the ocean and color, so much color (thanks mostly to Gaudì!). If you life modern architecture, for which Gaudì is famous for, then Barcelona is your city. Gaudì's creations are everywhere, and everyone of his buildings is more beautiful, and crazy, than the other. They are all so colourful and adored with tons of mosaics (and everyone who knows me knows how much I LOVE mosaics!) and each building is well worth the detour!
One of the many icons of Barcelona is the Park Güell. Situated on Barcelona's Muntanya Pelada, it consists of 20 hectares of land, which Gaudì, commissioned by Eusebi Güell, decorated in his very distinctive style. Since the park in on a mountain, it offers breathtaking views of the city, and on sunny days, you can even see the ocean! The park is well known for its trencadis dragon, its 96 columns, and the great plaza, along whose edge winds the famous "snake" bench (made entirely of mosaic!).


Parl Güell


Famous dragon... and me!

Some of the famous bench- isn't beautiful?!


Mosaics found on the roof of the 96 columns



More mosaics!


Of course, one of the things that makes Barcelona an attractive destination, at least for me, is that it is situated next to the ocean. There is a beautiful marina, where you can see boats of all shapes and sizes, and a boardwalk, lined with bars and restaurant, follows the sea.




It was the first time I saw the ocean this year, so of course I had to dip my feet in the water ( a must when next to the ocean!) and I was pleasantly surprised by the warmth of the water. The water was deliciously salty, the sand felt wonderful under my feet and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach was music to my ears. I love the ocean!
Stay tuned for the next post on Barcelona, which will include the Segrada Familia, the market de la Boqueria, and food!

3 comments:

mvb said...

oh pearl, a vision in purple! Barcelona looks wonderful! I was just teaching the kids about Barcelona's red-light district (d'avignon) as it refers to a Picasso painting - the kids love dirty stories.

Glad to hear you had such a good time!

m

Valsis said...

Your look so lovely Pearl! The beach pics are really wonderful...we can see how much you love it, your face is all lit up :)

love you!

Anonymous said...

hi pearl,

I loved your pictures from spain you must of had a beautiful time.You are so lucky to do all this travelling. You look well.

love ya

cathy p