Sunday, November 18, 2007

Yummy, yummy in my tummy!


















A couple of weeks ago, I visited a special outdoor market, which specialized in selling lebkuchen, a traditional German Christmas baking good, that is comparable to gingerbread. Lebkuchen is of course found all-year round in supermarkets, but the ones you find around Christmas time and in special markets like this one are remarkably better and fresher.
I love markets, whether they be flea markets, organic markets, arts and crafts markets. I find them very interesting and there is always something new to discover and try. The food markets are obviously my favorites, as I love trying out home-made jams (!), fancy breads, delicious cheese and everything else that one can find at a market. I find sampling foods at a market is a good way to get to know the culinary particularities of a country or region.
At the Pulsnitz market, one could of course find much more than just Lebkuchen, and it was a shame- or perhaps a blessing, that I had just finished eating a big breakfast, as there were many tasty things that I would have loved to sample!
The Lebkuchens that I ate there were delicious. They were in the shape of a heart (Ahhhhhhhhh!), were filled with jam, and dipped in chocolate- c'mon, what more could you want?!?! They are in a way a very fancy (and much tastier version) of Whippets (spelling?!?!).
Markets are very popular here in Germany, and they are held throughout the year, even in winter.
The Christmas markets are at the moment being set up and of course, a future post will include many pictures of them!
The countdown has begun: My parents are coming to visit me in two weeks' time (they arrive on the 1st of December), so if there is ANYONE who would like to give them ANYTHING for them to bring to me, now is the time to do it!!! I know I am cheeky, but hey!, it might be worth it!!!!

No comments: