Thursday, February 28, 2008

A sc-hairy decision!

I don't consider myself to be a particularly vain person. I mean, I like to look good just like anyone else, but I don't spend hours in front of the mirror, looking at myself, analyzing what I am wearing, wondering if it makes me look fat or skinny, wondering what people will think of me. However, I do like my hair to look good, or at least, not out of control, which is not always so easy, as my curls are often unruly, and grow much faster than I would like!
One of the things I dread the most when I travel somewhere for a long time is the time when I will need to go to the hairdresser and get my hair cut. It is at that moment and only at that moment, that I wish I had straight hair, because I think (and I might be wrong here) that cutting straight hair is easier than cutting curly hair. My hair is much longer when it is wet than when it is dry and I am always scared that I will end up looking like a sheep because a zealous hairdresser cut off too much of my hair! It is hard to find a good hairdresser in a new city, especially when you have such a good one at home.

There is no lack of hair salons here in Berlin. Actually, there are a remarkable amount of them, but the question is, which one can I trust with my hair? There seems to be two kinds of hair salons here in Berlin: the smaller, fancier ones, that use professional products like Aveda or Redken, that offer you a Latte Macchiato or a Cappuccino, that give you a little head massage while they are washing your hair and that charge you a small fortune for your cut, and then there are the ones that offer a simple system of cut-and-go. Let me explain this system, as it is completely foreign to us. First, when you come in the salon, you need to take a number. When your number is called, you head to the sinks, where your hair is washed. After that, you go sit down again, towel on your head, and you wait for one of the hairdressers to be free. When one is free, he or she will call you, and will cut your hair. Once the cut is done, it is up to you to dry your own hair. Once that is done, all you have to do next is pay. As you can imagine, such haircuts are quite reasonably priced (on average 10-12 euro) and I think such salons are popular among students and men with short hair. I was not courageous enough to try such a place, but my friend Rebecca (who has straight hair) did, and she was very satisfied with her haircut.

I had my hair cut twice since I have been here. The first time, I went to my roommates' hairdresser, and although the cut was good, I was not particularly impressed with it (and it was very expensive!). The second time I got my hair cut (on a whim, because my hair was driving me nuts and I was ready to pull out every hair individually- does anyone else ever have that feeling?!), I tried my luck at a small, friendly looking hair salon that I found on my way to work. I was very satisfied with the cut that Verena gave me, and the next time I need to get my hair cut, I will be sure to return to her.



The name of this "hair salon" says it all!!!


Another example of the cut-and-go hair salons found all over Berlin

1 comment:

Kevin said...

"One of the things I DREAD most when I travel is..." - get it: "dread," in a post about hair. Get your pun on.

-MVB