Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Schloss Sanssouci

On Sunday, as it was such a beautiful day, Ronny and I decided to head to Potsdam, the capital of the federal state Brandenburg. Postdam is a 20 minute train ride southwest of Berlin. The biggest attraction in Potsdam is the Schloss Sanssouci, with its palaces, parks, botanical gardens and fountains. It is the biggest World Heritage Site, under the protection of UNESCO, in Germany.
As you can all imagine, we were not the only ones who had the idea to head to Schloss Sanssouci that day- the park was full of couples leisurely walking about, families with kids running around, and elderly couples slowly making their way from one place to another. It is typical here in Germany to go for a walk on Sundays, as most stores are closed that day, although that is slowly changing, which I find is rather a pity. Coming from Montreal, I am used to having everything opened on Sundays and although sometimes it is frustrating not being able to go shopping on Sundays, I mostly really enjoy the fact that everything is closed on that day, and that one must find another activity to occupy oneself. Sundays here are all about enjoying your time with friends and family, appreciating what nature offers us and of course, taking the time, at around 4pm, for cake and coffee! Doesn't that sound like a most fantastic way to spend a Sunday?!














1 comment:

Laura said...

Hello! I'm here from Becky's blog. I just wanted to say that your pictures of Sanssouci are beautiful and were such a nice distraction from my work day (although I do not NEED distractions, I have plenty to be going on with!) My brother lives in Berlin as well, so it is nice to see people posting about a city I have come to enjoy! Cheers!