Friday, February 8, 2008

A taste of the Okanagan Valley

I am an avid baker- cookies, muffins, cakes, pies- I love to bake it all! There is nothing like the smell of a freshly baked good to put you in a good mood. Whenever my friends and I have a potluck dinner, I am the one in charge of dessert. That must mean that what I bake is good, right?!
Many people don't have the time/talent/interest to bake their own goods and instead use prepared mixes for their dessert needs. I have never, until now, used such a mix. Baking does not have to be complicated and I refuse to take the easy way out of an activity that can be so much fun and is always rewarding. However, there is always a first time to everything, and even I am willing to give everything at least one chance!

Last fall, my sister, who lives in Calgary, and a friend of hers, who was there visiting her, explored the Okanagan Valley (located in southern British Columbia) for a few days. They stopped in Kelowna, a beautiful region (or so I hear, as I, unfortunately, have not yet set foot there). Kelowna is well known, among other things, for its nature, its wineries and its lavender. There are fields and fields of this purple gold and the seeds of the lavender plant are used in everything from tea to oil, bath products to jelly, without of course forgetting culinary lavender, which brings me to the subject of this post. While there, my lovely and very thoughtful sister got me a lavender and lemon cake mix, which she gave to my parents so that they could bring it to me last December. On Wednesday, I had a sudden urge to bake a cake, and the lavender-lemon cake mix called to me, sreaming "Bake me! Bake me!". How could I resist such an enticing call?The result was a delicious, fluffy, lavender cake. This cake has made me reconsider my view point on prepared mixed. Although they will never be my number one choice when I want to bake something, some of these mixes are actually very tasty and when they include such delicate and interesting ingredients as lavender, who could say no to them?

Bobiy, you would have loved this cake!







My roommates, and myself, thank you again Tootsies for this delicious treat!

2 comments:

mvb said...

Yep, you just can't beat lavender cake. Your dessert looks delicious, as per usual. hey, Kevin was asked to make someone's wedding cake - he'll have to take cake aesthetic tips from you.

Anonymous said...

Ooh... this sounds fantastic and looks delicious!
I was always resistent to cake mixes as well. A friend of mine at Western used to make fantastic brownies and bring them to me sometimes, and when she graduated, I asked her for her recipe so that I could make them on my own. Turns out it was a mix with a few substitutions and extra ingredients thrown in. I gave mixes more of a chance after that.
Lavendar, though. Wow.