Friday, July 18, 2008

Holländisches Viertel






Rebecca and I went on a little day-trip to Potsdam yesterday. Those of you who regularly visit my blog will remember that one can find the Schloss Sanssouci there. Although we did wonder around the grounds of the castle a little bit, what I really wanted to see this time around was the Dutch Quarter. In the 1730's, Friedrich Wilhelm I invited Dutch workers to come and, well, work in Potsdam. 134 gabled red-brick houses were built for the workers, following the style of homes in the Netherlands. I have visited Amsterdam before, and I really felt like I was back there when we came upon the rows of Dutch houses in Potsdam. The houses have been beautifully kept and are now the home to lovely little cafés, galleries, boutiques and restaurants.
Going there is like traveling to the Netherlands, without even having to leave Germany!

1 comment:

Nicolas said...

Hi Caro,
Isn't there also a street with Russian houses?
Nico de Mont-Saint-Hilaire